6 October 2020, 12:00 – 1:15 PM CET
UNEP DTU Partnership and the European Capacity Building Initiative (ecbi) recently produced a Pocket Guide to NDCs. The Guide explains the provisions of the Paris Agreement adopted in 2015, and of the Katowice rulebook adopted in 2018.
We will launch the Guide on a webinar planned on 6 October 2020. We propose that the topic of the webinar will be Nationally Determined Contributions: Experiences in updating and revision.
Many countries are currently in the process of revising their intended NDCs, which were initially submitted before the Paris Agreement was adopted. The revised NDCs were to be submitted, and implementation was to begin, this year. In the webinar, we will explore national experiences with the process of formulating and revising their NDCs, and the extent to which countries are realistically able to plan their short and medium-term responses to climate change through the NDC process. We will also present an overview of where countries stand with regard to the revision process, and with initiating implementation, particularly given the potential delays caused by the COVID-19 pandemic this year.
- Anju Sharma, European Capacity Building Initiative
- Fatima-Zahra Taibi, UNEP-DTU Partnership: Requirements of the Paris rulebook on the submission/revision of new NDCs and status of submission so far.
- Jennifer Baumwool, UNDP: Climate promise – Status of the revision process, challenges faced by countries and outlook for the end of the year.
- Alfonso Galarce: Chile – Experience from a country that already submitted a new NDC.
- Daniel Tutu Benefoh: Ghana – Experience from a country that is still in the process of revising its NDC.
- Raju Pandit Chhetri: Nepal – Civil society perspective.