UNEP DTU Partnership (UDP) is looking to recruit an International Mitigation Expert with specialization in climate change mitigation technologies and the development of technical needs assessments in CIS and the Kyrgyz Republic. Experts should preferably have documented experience in the region. The expert will support the establishment of a climate technology framework in the country to help it achieve a steady climate resilient socio-economic development. The expert will provide technical expertise and support in the TNA Project working jointly with other international and local project counterparts, including the Government of the Kyrgyz Republic.
Background to the assignment
The purpose of the TNA project is to assist the Kyrgyz Republic update its Technology Needs Assessment (TNA) and develop a technology road map for prioritized technologies to address climate change challenges in the most critical sectors of the economy. TNAs are central to the work of Parties to the Convention on technology transfer and present an opportunity to track an evolving need for new equipment, techniques, practical knowledge and skills, which are necessary to mitigate GHG emissions and/or reduce the vulnerability of sectors and livelihoods to the adverse impacts of climate change. As per agreement with the Government of the Kyrgyz Republic, this TNA project will focus on four (4) broad priority sectors: agriculture, water, waste and energy. The project will work toward achieving the following four outcomes:
- Outcome 1: Relevant country stakeholders have established adequate capacity, systems, and networks to support the planning, programming, and implementation of GCF-funded activities
- Outcome 2: the Kyrgyz Republic has developed or enhanced strategic frameworks to address policy gaps, improve sectoral expertise, and enhance enabling environments for GCF programming in low emission investment
- Outcome 3: Strategies for transforming and attracting private sector investment for low emissions and resilience developed and being used
- Outcome 4: An increase in the number of quality project concept notes developed and submitted
The international expert consultant will work in close collaboration with UNEP DTU Partnership (UDP), the team of national experts, the TNA focal point at the Kyrgyz Republic Ministry of Economy, the national TNA Committee, including other expert consultants for the TNA project. It is expected that the project work will be completed by 31 December 2022. His/her overall task is to support the TNA process, ranging from engaging with stakeholders, attending and contributing to technical meetings and providing substantive reviews of the national TNA project reports for selected mitigation technologies, as relevant, in the respective sectors.
Duration of the assignment: 18 months with possibility of extension
Location: Remote with several field trips to the Kyrgyz Republic.
Qualifications, Profile and Skills:
The proposed consultant or must have a minimum of skills/ expertise meeting the requirements of the approved GCF proposal including at least:
- At least a Master’s degree in science/technology, natural resources management, business, climate change, engineering or other relevant field
- 25 years’ experience of providing technical consultancy services within a developing country, especially within CIS
- Experience of developing national plans that involve rigorous assessment of technology options and sectoral analysis at a country or regional level;
- Demonstrated technical and policy development expertise
- Familiarity with the UN process, technology needs assessment methodology, market assessment methodology and policy actions planning
- Experience of engaging with multiple actors in the development of initiatives aimed at building regional/national capacity within the region
- Facilitation skills in delivering dedicated training workshops around the policy development process
- Experience of conducting technology prioritization and multi-criteria analysis
- Nexus experience across Energy, Industry and Agriculture and Solid Waste sectors, especially in CIS region
- Language skills: excellent command of oral and written English is required.
- Understanding of wider policy measures and drivers to overcome barriers to the deployment of technologies and sectors for climate change mitigation and adaptation
- Knowledge of enabling environments and stimulus for SME development.
Apart from the individual qualifications and experiences of the proposed team members as mentioned above, the Network Member should demonstrate:
- Proven project management expertise of managing and delivering complicated multi-stakeholder projects involving surveys, data collection, capacity development programs working with national and international organizations;
- Proven expertise of engaging and mobilizing typical stakeholders from private and public sectors to design/implement national policy and regulations;
- Proven relevant experience of market assessments, technical support for policy implementation and financial mechanisms;
- Proven expertise in developing or updating national plans;
- Proven experience of writing technical reports, outreach and communication materials;
- Experience of working in respective country.
All working papers, draft reports and Final Report should be prepared and submitted in soft and hard copies in English Language. Russian language proficiency is desired.
Selection Process and Selection Criteria
The selection process will be carried out by UDP. The selection criteria will be based on the strength of the CVs of experts.
To submit your application, the lead expert should send:
- Cover Letter
- Other relevant docuemnts
The complete application should be sent to all the following contacts: James Haselip (firstname.lastname@example.org) and Paul Riemann (email@example.com)
Application deadline: December 7th 2021 at 17:00 (Central European Time).
Applications received after the deadline will not be considered.
Application deadline: 07/12/2021