UNEP DTU Partnership and Lesotho Meteorological Services (LMS) under the Ministry of Energy and Meteorology are seeking to hire one short term International Consultant to support Lesotho on the establishment of institutional arrangements for MRV at the national level, and piloting sectoral guidance to improve MRV at a sectoral level under the Climate Action Transparency Initiative (ICAT).
The primary focus of the ICAT initiative is on Lesotho’s Energy sector. The work will focus on review of existing MRV and/or M&E policies on a national level and particularly within the Energy sector, on the establishment of institutional arrangements, including design and implementation of legal frameworks, data collection, reporting, and verification methodologies and procedures within and between the relevant stakeholders that will facilitate a robust and continuous national MRV system.
The International consultant will be hired to contribute directly to Objective n.4 and its activities mentioned below.
ICAT Lesotho objectives identified by the Government of Lesotho are the following:
Objective n.1 – Revision of the selected NDCs making use of GACMO for the Energy sector
Objective n.2 – MRV needs and gaps assessment report
Objective n.3 – Harmonizing methodologies for assessing greenhouse gas impacts of policies and actions in the energy sector
Objective n.4 – Design of the MRV System, Establishment of Roles and Responsibilities
Objective n.5 – Dissemination Workshop and Implementation Plan
In particular, the International consultant is expected to provide support to establish a MRV system for the energy sector based on best practices identified out of international experiences and specifically on the following:
- Design of a MRV system utilizing ICAT guidance tailored to the selected Energy related policy. the MRV system will among other items include (i) Design and definition of necessary roles, responsibilities, communication channels and authorities of all relevant stakeholders and participants, (ii) definition of necessary indicators, data gathering methods, aggregation and storage procedures, (iii) Design and definition of reporting templates, (iv) identification of necessary legal arrangements.
- Develop an implementation plan to institutionalize and launch the MRV system. This plan will include recommendations and next steps necessary to be taken by participating institutions to implement the MRV system
- Deliverable: Report on designing the national MRV system, using the ICAT guidance tailored to the energy related policy, establishment of roles and responsibilities and providing recommendations on how to address barriers/ gaps/issues to improve data collection and reporting for the Energy sector emissions. This deliverable will be validated by the national consultants throught stakeholder consultations that will inform the design process of the MRV system.
Required qualifications and competencies
A successful consultant should demonstrate:
- Advanced university degree (master) or higher in relevant fields related to Climate Change and Energy.
- At least 5 years of work experience and knowledge in Nationally Determined Contributions (NDCs) – climate-change related projects and communications, as well as in transparency requirements, MRV and/M&E.
- Experience working in MRV, GHG Inventories, mitigation measures, project management, or any related projects is highly desired.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English.
- Ability to work independently.
- Good analytical skills and competence in using Microsoft office.
Duration and working arrangements:
The contract period is expected to last maximum 9 months from the day the contract is signed (with a partial dedication).
The Consultant will be contracted directly by the UNEP DTU Partnership (UDP) on a part-time basis, and will be required to be available for the performance of the tasks and delivery of the required outputs. He/She will be required to be available for the timely delivery of deliverables relevant to the specified tasks over the duration of the project, as required by UDP and the LMS. Payment of fees will be based on the deliverable. The consultant is expected to work remotely to perform the tasks, and in coordination with the national consultants, UDP and LMS.
- Interested consultants may request clarifications on this RFP process up to 12 January at 17:00 PM (CEST time) by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Responses to RFP will be sent to all interested bidders who have asked questions or otherwise expressed interest in submitting a proposal.
- To apply for this position, please send your application and CV (including your experience and track records in the selected sector), technical (methodology with detailed implementation plan) and financial proposal by email to Mr Maqhanolle Tsekoa (email@example.com) and Ms Ivana Audia (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- Please submit a technical proposal that includes your tentative approach and methodology to achieve the project’s objectives and deliverables.
- The subject line of the email message should follow the following format: Subject: “ICAT Lesotho – International Consultant”.
Application deadline: 18/01/2022Read more