This project promoted environmental sustainability in African, Caribbean and Pacific (ACP) group of nations within the context of Millennium Development Goal number 7.
The project also worked in line with the international obligations and related commitments under the various Multilateral Environmental Agreements (MEAs) signed by the respective countries.
The project enhanced the capacity of ACP countries to implement their respective obligations under MEAs and honour related commitments thereby resulting in the sound management of the environment and natural resources. It was at the same tima a component of the larger umbrella Project “EU ACP MEAs”.
The CDM capacity-building component was carried out as regional programs in Caribbean and Pacific Island countries, and as national programs in seven African countries: Angola, Botswana, Burundi, Ivory Coast, Malawi, Nigeria, Rwanda, São Tomé e Principe.
The project did not link to specific CDM projects but rather supported the establishment and capacity building of the national enities (DNAs). It is well known however, that the majority of CDM projects were linked to renewable energy and/or energy efficiency.
CDM knowledge and experience from UNEP DTU Partnership and its implementation partners was transferred to national stakeholders through provision of institutional and technical backstopping, with special emphasis on practical hands-on participatory training.
- Project countries received assistance towards establishing an operational DNA capable of approving projects consistent with the host country’s sustainable development priorities.
- Technical capacity of national experts and consultants in CDM project identification, design, and implementation has been built.
- Regional workshops have been held.
- Creation of CDM-friendly regulatory and business environments through raising awareness of government offi-cials and policymakers in each project country.
- CDM project appraisal skills and capacity of local financial institutions has been built by the CDM Capacity Building Component.
- Pilot CDM project opportunities have been identified and promoted among companies from Kyoto Protocol Annex I countries interested in investing in CDM projects.
- A web-based multilingual Knowledge Management Platform is established as a free of charge information exchange platform to share CDM experiences and knowledge.